Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 36 New year's Eve away from home

I'm a Chinaman. And the tradition for us Chinese is to do some 'Spring Cleaning' in this season.. and so I did. (Claps claps)

Loaned the Vacuum Cleaner from the Admin office

Next step is to dump everything + anything out of your room

And you suck it all up


So clean right? Free from miscelleous hair.. dead skin cells. Steady


And even fresh new bedsheets (First time I change bedsheet so soon, powerpack sial. Purple colour leh! Someone's favourite colour)


After all is done, I sat on my chair, staring at the computer screen. Brain-storming of what to cook for my Solo 'reunion dinner' 'Pasta for reunion dinner??'

'Ding ding' Peggy (My taiwanese hall mate) came online. And I msned her 'So whats up for dinner tonight?'

The next thing that happen




I joined Peggy and her friend Chris (A PHD student at UCL, also a fellow Taiwanese) for a 'Taiwanese Reunion Dinner'

Someone from hall asked me the other day, 'You speak fluent Cantonese to HongKong people, discuss Taiwan places to go as if you know the place inside out, and speak with Lahs and Lohs like a seasoned Singaporean, what are you really?'

'What am I??' I myself also can't answer the question.
SingaKongese? TaiKongporean? Hongwanporean? Mongrul?

Yes, and this is my 'Reunion dinner'






Its Chinese New Year. And we can't do without eating 'Nian Gao'
What do you call it in English?
Year Cake? Sticky Cake?
So we bought some from the 'Mama shop' at Chinatown. Looks pretty interesting eh?


In fact, we realise it looked like the soap in our kitchen

None of us had the experience of cooking 'Nian Gao' And Chris, suggested micro-waving it.. and we did... turned out looking like a piece of pig liver

I tried to recall how mum usually does it..
I remember her dipping into some beaten eggs before frying it with some oil? And so we tried...


Looks much better isn't it?







And I kept the annual tradition.
But instead of playing Blackjack... we played 'Dai Dee' aka 'Big 2'




And to all, my family, my friends. Happy Chinese New Year! Enjoy the festive season ok? How I wish I could be teleported back, wells. Xing Nian Kuai Le!

No comments: