Friday, January 4, 2008

Day 2

Off I went to the International Students Orientation.
I took a look around when i was outside the lecture theatre, where everyone was waiting to go in for the welcome talk by the dean of UCL, I was flooded by Ang-Mos, my front, back, left and right, I am surrounded by Ang-Mos, where are all the black hair people????!!!???

At the welcome talk, the Dean asked, 'How many of you guys are from Europe?'
(About 20-25 hands shot up)
'What about North America?' (The whole lecture theatre was filled with hands)
'How many from Asia or Southeast Asia?' 2 little mice put up their hands.
Mouse 1: HongKong, Myanmese-Taiwanese born Singaporean
Mouse 2: Prata house country
So as you can see, I am super intimidated by the Edwards (Ooopss.. Whites) around me
Being the only one from Singapore and only one from NUS, its hard to get to know anyone. All the rest seem to either come from the same nation, or same University :(

The girl beside me introduced herself to me.
Well, phew, at least they're not that racist after all.
Got to know this girl beside me, Natalie from California, pyschology major, 20yrs old
She looks like Brooke Fraser, and I mean really look like Brooke Fraser..
Maybe I should teach her how to play the guitar huh? Narash, you would like that right? After the welcome, we break off into our department groups and we're suppose to navigate our way to the various departments in different places. Psychology and Geography happen to be at the same building, so Natalie free-ride on my professional navigation skills (100% money back gurantee, Sispec top students in Navex). Upon our arrival at the building, the secretary mention that there was a mis-plan and Geography meeting has its venue changed... Lucky Natalie... Maybe thats why God make me sit beside her.

There were only a pathetic 5 people taking Geography in the exchange cohort. How sad!
Got to know another guy call Bryan from Austin, Geography major as well. We headed down to the welcome dinner together at the students union that night where free food and alcohol awaits us. Don't worry, I still keep to my traditions, no alcohol! And i consumed orange juice and sky juice.

A Blonde girl approached us and introduced herself as Brenita from Pennsylvania, biological science major. Throughout our conversations, it seems that Singapore is not that unknown afterall, all of them knew where it was on the map. Not bad huh!

Bryan introduced me to his friends as well, there was this tall guy that look like goofy from Finland and another of his neighbour friend in Austin who talks non-stop with me about how he love Stephen chow, Chow Yun Fat, Jet Li... and the list goes on and on about movies... I walked away to get another orange juice and walked into this Taiwan girl who introduced herself as Katie.. She has been living in Taiwan for the past 18 years but her Mandarin suck because she studies in an American school in Taiwan... But still...what the heck... you live in Taiwan ok?
And yes, so the conversation has shifted from movies to nice places to shop in Taiwan.

Bryan and friends invited me to join them to go to the nearby pub. I declined politely. I don't have the White riches to spend like they do man. So it was Home Sweet Home for me.

It may seem like I made many new friends today, but whether it will last is still a big big question mark. Hi-bye friends maybe?

1 comment:

principessa said...

angus, you're so funny la! Found your blog addy by accident but anyway, Even in the loneliness, you're still yourself. :) That is amazing. I'll choose home stay cos it feels like family, but mix ard more in school, that is if the duration of the tube to your home is not more than an hour hopefully. You know what, i nearly thought that MOUSE 2 is YOU cos you eat a lot in Prata House. Anyways, persevere on, you'll grow to like London more :)

Cheerios, Eva from FYDI