Friday, January 4, 2008

Day 3

2nd day of orientation

0930-1130hrs

2-talks by UCL professors
1. How to study successfully at UCL (reported as world ranking No.9)
2. Living in London

1130-1200

Headed to the Linguistic department to talk to the professor regarding English Language modules. I have to clear English modules as its a requirement by MOE, sucks!
The Linguistic department is super duper secluded!!! Its at a back alley sort of place! How to find sial?



After that, I went to the residences office to check if there is any available accomodation around the school vicinity. The only one thats left with a single room is the same one, 111.90 pounds per week, 20 minutes walk away, Langton Close. I decided to take a walk down to see how is it like since I have the time. I took out my map and navigated my map. The londoners are quite helpful. Some strangers offered directions to me without me asking them when they see me engross with the map.
When I arrive at Langton close, i was half dead, its kind of far from UCL, ma chiam my house walk to Yio Chu Kang Mrt!!!!
Langton Close


The exterior and interior look quite nice though.
Fully-carpeted, 3-6 single bed room share a common toilet and common kitchen.

Some random shots on my way back to UCL.
St Pancres Station where we can take the EU rail




1330-1600hrs

Enrol formally into UCL.
My picture was taken digitally and within 3 minutes, my UCL students ID card is out

Next is the activation of my computer account with the Information System department

After that is done, i headed for the campus tour and got to know this guy Martin Vorac from Chad Republic, kind of cool huh? He requested for my UK mobile no. and invited me to his hall for dinner. I had to decline because I had an appointment that night with Summer. (A HK friend that i grew up with)

1600hrs-1715hrs

I tried to burn time by going to the library to read up on
linguistic books.. Boy are they boring! The library is very nice, ma chiam some museum! But I believe you guys will like it.
After boring myself with some books, i look at the time and learn that it was 11pm over at Singapore! SO i ran to the nearest free access room and logged on to netmsn messenger to look for you guys! Technology is really a blessing!

The Library







1715-1800hrs

With my map in hand, I navigated my way down to Chinatown.
It was drizzling abit, but the Londoners seem to be ignorant of that and walk on
w/o umbrellas. Saw many Seth looking people- Skinny jeans, tight fitting tee shirt with lines... what else? Umm.. Yes Converse kind of canvas shoes... Yes Seth...
Also, walked past 3 big guitar shops that I should be exploring soon. Duh..



Busy London


I waited for Summer at the HSBC bank at Chinatown.
As I was waiting, this Black old man came up to me and wished me Merry Christmas
He look abit umcamp and was chewing some biscuits
I scheme through his head to toe, he was wearing a pair of Nike Dunk..
SO perhaps he's not asking for money or trying anything funny.
A few minutes later, he turned to me and said 'This is my first meal of the day...'
I turned and look at him 'I'm going for my first meal now...' and I walked off as fast as i could!

It was great to see Summer and her friend. One of the greatest joy
nowadays is to see Asians that you could talk to.
Summer and I share the same roots, in terms of where we come from. Her mum is also a Myanmese that marry over to a HongKonger. Our mothers are very very good friends and we know each other since young. She was also a geography major, got her masters in city planning in London, and she works for the 'URA' of London now.. As she's earning pounds there, of course its gonna be her treat tonight!
We went to a HongKong restaurant that was packed with Cantonese people. I felt i was in Hongkong for a while. I ordered a Beef 'Sheng Mian' and that was the best meal I ever ever had in London thus far.


After dinner, summer brought me round London central. It was an eye opener. What you see on screen in movies and news now appears in front of your eyes, that was awesome. I saw the London Eye, River thames as well as Big Ben from afar. They look beautiful, breath taking.!
'For the wind is living and cold, sharper then any double edged brush, and piercing as far as the division of my cells in my body and skin,' Summer and I went to seek shelter and we came across this guitarist player that just played in front of a group of audience seated down, we joined in the crowd to just enjoy the music for a while. Boy was he pro! As it was raining heavily, the shots that i took are kind of bad, will take better shots in future!

Pro-star

Summer and Winter



Court Garden

My wife's name
Random houses

The London Eye and River Thames



Very Blur Big Ben on the right side
Waterloo Street (This shot is delicated to Joshua Lau who kept asking me to go to waterloo)

Food for thought

I believe GOD has divinely arranged for me to be here in London, though I'm still not sure how he wants me to grow. It was very divine that Summer visited Singapore 2 weeks ago just before i leave for London, and Camy's sister just returned to Singapore in time to give me a rough orientation of the place. And at the very last minute, i still manage to find a very good accomodation through Andrew who was back in Singapore for the holidays. Just a word of encouragement especially for TY, Hailer Chong, JOnathan who are applying for exchange and Uni, Where GOD guides, he provides yeah?

No comments: